At Windows, Walls & More serving West Bloomfield, we know it can be tough to decide whether it’s worth it to invest in a space. And we’re here to tell you that, yes, it really can be. Check out our ideas about remodeling a bathroom—we hope it offers you inspiration if you’ve been considering that kind of project.
Reasons to Remodel a Bathroom
There’s an expression in the construction business that says, “Remodel where the water is.” And if you think about it, it really makes sense. This is true for a lot of reasons. For one thing, remodeling a bathroom (or kitchen) can add value to your home if you’re looking to sell. Even if you’re planning on staying, a remodeled bathroom (or kitchen) can make the home more comfortable for you and your family, helping you enjoy the space that much more.
Aspects to Consider
Especially if you’re making some big changes, be sure to plan well for it, including aesthetic components as well as functional features. For example:
- Sinks should be positioned so they are easily accessible. Porcelain sinks are the most common and versatile, but other sink styles are worth looking into. Stainless steel, granite, and copper sinks can add a luxurious look to your bathroom. Choose unique sink accessories for a custom look.
- Don’t forget to leave space for storage. A closet is best if you have the space, but large cabinets can also give you ample storage space and add to the custom look of your new bathroom.
- When hanging towel bars and mirrors, be sure to decide where to put them early on so that you can add extra blocking where needed before finishing the walls. If you can, mark potential spots with painter’s tape first, then adjust for comfort. Set towel bars at about 48″ and the mirror above the vanity at about 60-66″.
- Natural beauty. Using real stone in your shower, on the walls, or as the floor brings a feel of nature to what can otherwise be a fairly stark room.
Not all bathrooms have windows, but if yours does, it’s important to get the right window treatment on it to match your new aesthetic as well as to guarantee the right light filtering and privacy control.
- Vignette® Modern Roman Shades by Hunter Douglas provide a classic look. If your bathroom has warm tones, select an earth-tone fabric with subtle variations, to pick up the colors in your bath tile and cabinetry. For cool tones, select something from the gray family or slate blue.
- A cute café curtain-style window treatment can be the perfect finishing touch to an elegant bathroom. Simply place the café curtain on the lower half of the window to ensure privacy while letting in plenty of light. Ask us about fabric options for our custom drapery options.
- Hunter Douglas EverWood® Alternative Wood Blinds come in a selection of premium crisp white and off-white colors. They are easy to operate and clean-up is a quick dusting. These blinds hold up beautifully to moisture in a wet room.
Bathroom Remodel Checklist
- Measure your space thoroughly so that you know what size fixtures will fit.
- Locate all water shutoff valves so that there are no floods when taking out fixtures.
- Make arrangements for a backup bathroom if necessary.
- Determine whether to donate or dispose of old fixtures, and make plans accordingly.
- Buy plenty of plastic sheeting to contain dust if you’re knocking out tile and drywall yourself.
- Check recent references for plumbers and other pros you hire.
Bathroom Remodel in West Bloomfield, Novi MI Areas
Windows, Walls & More was established in 1977 and has become the leader in window treatments and window treatment motorization, as well as wallpaper, interior design and more. With a beautiful Hunter Douglas Gallery showroom in West Bloomfield, Windows, Walls & More serves West Bloomfield and the surrounding areas, including Franklin, Livonia, Birmingham, Farmington Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Commerce Township, Northville and Novi. Stop by our Hunter Douglas Gallery to see our many functional window covering displays. For more information, or to schedule your free in-store consultation, give us a call today at 248-661-3840.